Today is Thanksgiving in U.S. This is a time that most Americans reflect on all that they have been blessed with and give thanks for it. As a dividend stock investor, there are many things to be thankful for this year. Here are a few of the things I am thankful for:
- That I live in a country with a free market system that allows me to work hard, save, invest and get ahead.
- An excellent financial system with checks and balances which provides investors the necessary transparency to have confidence in the market’s integrity.
- Accidentally discovering dividend investing several years ago and sticking with it long enough to understand its full power.
- The recent market downturn that has allowed me to purchase great stocks like Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Procter & Gamble Co. (PG) and United Technologies Corp (UTX) at prices I could only previously dream of.
- A loving wife and kids that indulge my financial and online writing hobbies (obsessions?).
It would be easy for many of us to look at our brokerage or 401(k) statements and not be thankful. However, living in a developed country where we can lose large sums of wealth (on paper) and still never go without food, clothing or shelter, is a privilege that the majority of the people in this world will never be in a position to experience.
God bless America!
Full Disclosure: Long JNJ, PG, UTX
(Photo: Gravity X9)